was a regular at San Souci beach, even on weekends, because she and
my grandmother loved fresh limu. One day she went out to the reef in
her usual garb - Japanese tabis, long loose pants and T-shirt, and a
wide-brim floppy hat tied around her neck with string. Suddenly the
string untied and the hat flew off her head and landed on the reef,
top side down. A large uhu (red fish) jumped into her hat and frightened
her. She gathered up her bucket, took the fish and went home to give
it to my grandma, explaining the circumstances surrounding the catching
of this fish.
grandma told her that she had had a dream the night before about my mother
catching this fish, and that it was a gift and we were to eat it. She
also said that my mother could not go to the beach anymore to gather limu.
Of course my mother didn't listen and went anyway. When she attempted
to go into the water, the bottom of her feet started to crack and bleed.
This happened several times over the next few weeks.
my mother went to the doctor to find out why this was happening. The
doctor said she was allergic to salt water! Of course, there was more
to this story. Unfortunately, no one thought to share it with us kids.
So to this day, I don't know what happened. After her trip to the doctor,
she no longer went to pick limu at San Souci. And neither did we.
note: Hawaiis shift to a tourist based economy has damaged Waikiki
shorelines ecosystem in numerous ways, one of which is hotels
letting their swimming pools' chlorinated water run into the ocean.
This would either kill the seaweed growing on the shore or make them